Custom Kiosk Software Design
With a push to go public, diversify its product offering and gain incremental foot traffic, Portrait Innovations tried its hand at custom-developed photo gifting kiosks.
A Simple Request...
While the idea was simple, the integration for this custom-designed photo processing kiosk was quite the challenge.
This software would allow users to:
- Load images from their photo session, phone, memory card, CD, social media, or even scan images in manually.
- Organize all images into categories.
- Edit and apply filters and effects.
- Populate and customize photo gift products based on with user photos and custom algorithm.
- Share purchased (and free) product visuals on social media.
- Checkout on-site with cash or credit.
Additionally, the software would:
- Function on various screen resolutions and aspect ratios.
- Pause an order until payment has been triggered.
- Print detailed receipt to inkjet printer.
- Print photo contact sheet of ordered prints to photo printer.
- Process all photo gift artwork based on matching art templates and .json image coordinates.
- Route all order details and art files to various fulfillment partners (internal and external).
- Send confirmation emails and text messages with order status.
Where I came in to help...
Working alongside software developers, I provided the following support:
- Scoped out the project from stakeholder to fulfillment partners to software development.
- Designed mock-ups to aid in stakeholder decision all the way through development hand-off.
- Curated list of product offering, aligning with fulfillment and even sourcing in-house printing equipment.
- Provided direction to artists for custom designed product artwork.
- Developed and trained in-house technical designers to map all photo and text openings to final artwork utilizing .json image coordinates.
- Provided a long line of design iterations throughout the product life-cycle.